Program Manager - Implementation and Professional Development (DC based)
You’re the kind of person who:
- Is so passionate about math education that you could speak about it all day long
- Loves being in the classroom and wants to make an impact on students and teachers
- Dreams up new ways to teach math concepts in your spare time
- Is known among your colleagues for getting things done
Perhaps you're a trained math teacher looking to make a difference beyond the walls of your classroom? Do you have some corporate experience, and are you thinking about doing something fulfilling where you have a pivotal role in a growing organization?
This is a unique opportunity for a self-starting individual to be part of a young and ambitious company looking to create large-scale solutions for teaching and learning mathematics. Ideally, you have at least five years of experience, with a background in middle or high school teaching and/or administration, focused on mathematics or STEM. You have experience in designing and delivering professional development, particularly in relation to creating a blended classroom, and you are fluent in using technology in the classroom. Previous experience in direct customer facing roles is an advantage. The ideal candidate has been involved in mathematics education at middle/high school and/or higher education level, as both a teacher and as a math coach, and be familiar with best practices in implementation of educational technology.
Mathspace is an education technology company based in New York, and headquartered in Sydney, Australia. Mathspace’s highly innovative adaptive math program allows students to receive feedback at every step of a math problem, with handwriting recognition for mobile devices. Each step of students’ math reasoning is automatically graded, with feedback, hints and suggestions guiding students to the final answer.
Mathspace’s step-by-step approach means data is collected at multiple points in a problem, which can then be used to personalize the learning experience for each individual through our adaptive engine. Mathspace combines this student notebook with a teacher dashboard and a full digital textbook, including lessons, interactive widgets, and thousands of instructional videos, all aligned to multiple US and global curricula.
About the role
As the Program Manager - Implementation and Professional Development, you will be responsible for large-scale implementation of Mathspace in school districts. You will design of professional development modules and in-classroom coaching models, based on research-based, best practice models for blended learning in mathematics classrooms and NCTM standards of mathematical practice. You will be responsible for delivering, and training district teams to deliver, a range of training, implementation and coaching services to support Mathspace customers and help them understand how to best utilize the program.
A large part of this role includes being an in-classroom coach, where you will coach individual teachers before, during and after lessons to move towards a shared vision for blended learning best practice. Working with the building math department, you will also build coaching capacity at multiple sites within school districts, to enable the department to build upon your in-classroom coaching.
You will also be responsible for the success of large implementations, as determined by the engagement of all stakeholders within the district, including teachers, students, administrators and community stakeholders. You’ll work closely with school and district leaders to plan and coordinate delivery of these services, and liaise with Mathspace colleagues to communicate customer outcomes and program feedback.
You will promote Mathspace beyond current customers, using your implementation sites as exemplars of the success that can be achieved with strong professional development delivery and robust engagement.
You will also be responsible for developing curriculum for middle and high school math, including problem writing, instructional videos, and project-based learning modules, as required to improve the product based on customer feedback.
Be warned, this is not your average 9-5 job. At Mathspace we’re looking to change the world, one math problem at a time, by creating the math curriculum of the future. By thinking outside the box and challenging the status quo, our small team has made huge inroads in a market dominated by global publishing houses, and we’re looking for passionate individuals to join us in our mission.
Mathspace is based in New York, NY, but we have flexible working arrangements, so candidates can apply from anywhere within the US. This role is based in the Washington D.C. area.
- Develop and deliver high quality professional development – including face to face, virtual, online asynchronous courses and in-classroom coaching – for the implementation of Mathspace in large school districts
- Embed best practice, research-based blended learning into Mathspace professional development modules, aligned to each district’s instructional technology vision
- Plan and coordinate the delivery of professional development with district leaders to help achieve Mathspace’s goals for customer retention and conversion
- Be in-classroom coach at key customer sites, coaching individual teachers before, during and after live lessons to move them closer to the shared district vision for blended learning in their mathematics classrooms
- Build coaching capacity across multiple sites within school districts
- Promote Mathspace to new customers, using your sites as successful exemplars of strong implementation and professional development
- Develop middle and/or high school math curriculum aligned to state standards, including problems, instructional videos and project-based learning modules
- Collect and synthesize customer feedback to monitor customer engagement and feed into product development
- Promote Mathspace at conferences and events and follow up with any leads generated
- Build strong, long-lasting relationships with customers at all levels in a school organization
- Collect customer data and success stories to drive best practices
- Understand all facets of Mathspace products – technical and operational, as well as internal Mathspace systems and processes.
- Maintain an enthusiastic, can-do mindset and outgoing personality that inspires our customers and fellow team members
- Maintain customer information and track implementation activity using Pipedrive (CRM)
- Communicate team’s field experience across internal teams, especially with the Curriculum team and Technical team
- Travel regularly (up to 80%) to meet with customers and to deliver on-site training while maintaining high productivity level
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree, preferably with a math/STEM/education major
- At least five years of middle, high school or higher education teaching and/or administrative experience, with a background in mathematics or STEM
- Experience as a math coach, or similar experience training math teachers in the use of technology in a blended classroom
- Experience in the development and delivery of professional development for K-12 educators
- Familiarity with blended learning best practice and NCTM standards of mathematical practice
- Highly adept with technology, and quick to learn new technologies and apply solutions
- Experience in, and evidence of, math curriculum writing at a middle/high school level
- Ability to communicate across all levels of an organization, excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Strong analytical skills (e.g. reporting, excel, data analysis); experience with data driven instruction and business communications
- Thrives in ambiguity, enjoying the challenge of independently solving issues and offering solutions for customers where there is no pre-defined path
- Fits Mathspace culture: open to giving and receiving feedback, loves to delight customers, highly resourceful, humble, makes high impact with limited time/resources, gets things done
- Experience in a direct customer facing function (sales, customer service)
- Experience in leadership positions and inspiring others to action (sales, leadership, fundraising, public service)
- Marketing skills (newsletters, blogging, social media, creating handouts and case studies)
- Public speaking and presenting skills: conferences, panel talks, trade shows, performance
- Entrepreneurial background or startup experience
- Competitive salary and commission
- Travel Allowance
- Flexible work hours and conditions - work from the office, home and on the road
- A culture focused on coaching to help our staff develop new skills
- A dynamic, exciting environment where each day is different, and you can help define the journey of the organization
- True ownership of work. You’ll drive your threads of work, our customers and partners will know who you are, and you’ll help grow the company. Your ideas matter.
- The opportunity to use cutting edge technology to transform mathematics education
- Fulfillment from knowing you’re playing a crucial role improving the lives of teachers, parents and students