Software Engineer (Python/Django)
We're a global technology leader in personalised maths education and you will join a dedicated, high performing team with a mission to rethink the way we teach and learn maths.
Our adaptive learning technology is already helping students and teachers across the globe. But we also understand we have only made the first steps towards our vision of a highly engaging and extraordinary learning experience. Imagine a world where every student gets delivered a learning experience based on their ability, their learning style and their progress.
We created Mathspace because we believe that technology can help every single student to excel in maths, by providing the right help at the right time.
Check out this video for a bit about our product
You’ll be working closely with the founders, content and design team to engineer and scale our adaptive learning platform to millions of users. Our platform is designed to cater to both the needs of teachers, who use our dynamic mathematics content to create and deliver lessons, as well as students who are able to use handwriting recognition to input their answers.
We're doubling paid users every year, and our engineering team is growing fast. You'll be joining a team of currently 15 engineers (split on frontend and backend) that will grow to 20 over the first half of 2018. Our Sydney office is about 35 people total now and we have maintained the startup environment as we grow.
As a backend engineer on our team, you’ll have a chance to help decide on the choice of technology we use, as well how we design and deliver the platform to our users.
What you'll do
- Help to transition our monolithic app to handle larger scale (>100k daily active users)
- Remodel and aid with the choice of database technologies to handle that scale
- Help with the innovation of mathematics education through interface creation to handle mathematical input
- Refactor legacy parts of the codebase using modern best practices
What we're looking for
- Strong Python skills
- Experience building complex apps with Django. Ideally this will be commercial experience, but sophisticated personal / side projects will also demonstrate this experience.
What we use
- Python 3
- Django 1.11
Bonus points if you know
- Any of the other tech we use
- Functional programming
What we offer
- The opportunity to use cutting edge technology to transform Mathematics education and make an impact
- Flat hierarchy / management structure
- Bright and open Surry Hills office near Central Station with sit/stand desks
- Weekly team lunches
- Flexible work hours
- Remote working 10 days per year - from home, as part of a holiday, or from where ever you want
- $1500 towards the computer of your choice
- Staff development with weekly lunchtime lightning talks about the latest technologies
- We partner with pledge1percent.org to donate 1% of time, product and profit to help nonprofits in our community. Each employee has 2.5 days to volunteer with the charity of their choice
- Free entry to exclusive Mathspace table tennis competition :)
Please send us
- Brief intro to yourself
- GitHub account
- Links to work that you are proud of