Lead Mobile Software Engineer
We're a global technology leader in personalised maths education and you will join a dedicated, high performing team with a mission to rethink the way we teach and learn maths.
Our adaptive learning technology is already helping students and teachers across the globe. But we also understand we have only made the first steps towards our vision of a highly engaging and extraordinary learning experience. Imagine a world where every student gets delivered a learning experience based on their ability, their learning style and their progress.
We created Mathspace because we believe that technology can help every single student to excel in maths, by providing the right help at the right time.
Check out this video for a bit about our product
The role and team
Do you like to get involved with the development of a solution from start to finish? Do you enjoy working on complex problems and figuring out good solutions?
We have thousands of students using our apps globally and you would be the first dedicated mobile engineer at Mathspace and help take our product to the next level. The other engineers are split on Frontend (React) and backend (Python/Django) and you’ll have the opportunity to help lead the direction of our mobile technology strategy.
This is an opportunity to use cutting edge technology to transform mathematics education and make an impact. We're doubling paid users every year, and our engineering team is growing fast. You'll be joining a team of currently 15 engineers that will grow to 20 over the first half of 2018. Our Surry Hills, Sydney office is about 35 people total now and we have maintained the startup environment as we grow.
What you’ll do
- Modernise existing apps to use best practices
- Improve the user experience around account and login management
- Upgrading and managing our mathematical handwriting recognition components
- Work towards transitioning our native apps to a unified React Native architecture
Where we’re at now
- We have 3 live applications currently: iOS, Android and Windows UWP.
- Apps wrap the current Mathspace web application but have native hooks to enable our mathematical handwriting recognition input.
- The goal is to convert our initial release applications into fully supported applications.
What we’re looking for
- A native app developer with experience in either iOS development in Objective C or Android development in Java - our preference is iOS over Android and if you have both, that’s great
- Experience in native application development and support which integrates with 3rd party plugins.
- Experience in lifecycle management of an app with specific focus on logging and crash analytics.
- Someone who has interest in and agrees with the architectural approach of React Native.
Bonus points if you know
- React Native
- Windows UWP App Development
What we offer
- The opportunity to use cutting edge technology to transform Mathematics education and make an impact
- Flat hierarchy / management structure
- Bright and open Surry Hills office near Central Station with sit/stand desks
- Weekly team lunches
- Flexible work hours
- Remote working 10 days per year - from home, as part of a holiday, or from where ever you want
- $1500 towards the computer of your choice
- Staff development with weekly lunchtime lightning talks about the latest technologies
- We partner with pledge1percent.org to donate 1% of time, product and profit to help nonprofits in our community. Each employee has 2.5 days to volunteer with the charity of their choice
- Free entry to exclusive Mathspace table tennis competition :)
Please send us
- Brief intro to yourself
- GitHub account
- Links to work that you are proud of